Bunge sources palm oil and derivatives for use as ingredients in some of our commercial and consumer products.
We believe all palm oil should be produced in a manner that is legally compliant and traceable, that protects forests and biodiversity, reduces greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and respects the rights of indigenous peoples, workers and local communities. Bunge is committed to building a supply chain that reflects these beliefs and the principles.
We also recognize the important role we can play in encouraging a transition to more sustainable industry, and we will work with partners and stakeholders to advance leading standards and higher levels of transparency.
Bunge Loders Croklaan
On March 1, Bunge finalized its acquisition of a majority stake in Loders Croklaan. Moving forward, we will operate a global B2B oils subsidiary—Bunge Loders Croklaan—creating solutions for customers across a spectrum of segments, applications & geographies.
Bunge and Loders Croklaan share a commitment to sustainability. The combination brings together leading policies, people, programs and partnerships.
Integration efforts will occur throughout the year. Following are some important steps we have taken and things to expect in the coming months:
- Sourcing policy: we have updated our global palm oil sourcing policy. The new policy, which is effectively immediately, includes critical NDPE principles, as well as 3rd party sourcing and non-compliance elements developed by Loders Croklaan in 2017. Read the full policy here.
- Dashboard: we expect to have an integrated dashboard with combined key statistics, mills lists, grievance tracker and other information ready within a few months. Until then, you can continue to find supply data and grievance information on Bunge.com and at the Loders Croklaan site.
- Corporate governance: as a subsidiary of Bunge, the new entity will be included in Bunge’s corporate governance, CDP and GRI reporting, environmental footprint reduction goals, safety programs and other efforts.
- Implementation partners: we look forward to strong, ongoing relationships with TFT and Proforest.
- RSPO: Bunge Loders Croklaan will fit under Bunge’s corporate RSPO membership and ACOP submissions.
- Grievance: the new entity will use Bunge’s established grievance submission system, which is detailed below.
- Supplier engagement and industry transformation work: all of Loders Croklaan and Bunge’s current efforts continue without interruption. We integrate efforts in coming months.
Read more in our FAQ.
Bunge is a member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), a nonprofit organization that promotes the development and use of sustainable palm oil through global standards and collaboration among industry participants and nongovernmental organizations. Bunge operates RSPO-certified facilities in North America and Europe. You can learn more about our participation by reading our annual communication of progress at RSPO.org.
Grievance Process, List and Submission
Bunge believes stakeholders play important and constructive roles in the implementation of its sustainability commitments. Our grievance procedure provides a means for any stakeholder to raise concerns related to the implementation of Bunge's Palm Oil Policy, its worldwide operations and third-party suppliers via a transparent process.
Grievances can be expressed through Bunge's longstanding public ethics and compliance hotline, on the Web or by phone (1-888-691-0773 or 1-704-414-5695). The grievance raiser can remain anonymous. However, we recommend that the grievance raiser provide contact details so we can seek further clarification. Anyone may appoint a third-party to submit their grievances provided that the third-party follows the procedure.
You can review the procedure in greater detail and find answers to frequently asked questions here.
You can review our grievance list here.
The Forest Trust (TFT)
Bunge is a member of TFT. TFT is helping us close traceability and policy gaps in our supply chain and we are collaborating on industry transformation efforts. You can see more information on the member transparency hub.
You can review a list of mills in our supply chain here.